The Cheshire and Wirral Ornithological Society was founded in 1988 as the successor of the Cheshire Ornithological Association. The Society is actively involved with conservation issues in Cheshire and Wirral and works closely with the RSPB and English Nature. The Society publishes Bird News three times a year and an annual Bird Report which are free to members.
Objects of the Society (extracted from the Constitution)
The objects of the Society shall be for the public benefit:
- To advance public education in ornithology and related matters and in particular to promote the study of birds and other wildlife within Cheshire and Wirral.
- To support and encourage the preservation, conservation and study of wild birds and places of ornithological interest, especially within Cheshire and Wirral, and to protect these from injury, ill-treatment or destruction.
- To promote the recording, study and research into all aspects of the avifauna of the Administrative County of Cheshire as designated on 1st April 1974 together with the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral (including the Hilbre Islands) and to collate, maintain and publish the useful results of such recording, study and research.
- In furtherance of the above objects but not further or otherwise the Society shall have the following powers :-
- To publish reports, newsletters and other papers of ornithological interest or as may be deemed by the Society suitable or desirable for promoting its objects.
- To co-operate with the British Trust for Ornithology, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and other similar organisations in scientific ornithological enquiries and in promoting wildlife protection and conservation, and, where Council may so decide, to subscribe to such organisations.
- For the above purposes to raise and maintain funds, and in connection therewith to fix subscriptions and to receive donations, legacies and other gifts, and to make and publish appeals and requests for financial assistance, and to enter into and accept covenants to pay an amount for a fixed number of years.
- To do all such other lawful things as are necessary for the attainment of the aforesaid objects.